Blue Jays 1964

How often do we admit that we are proud of our parents? It doesn't happen often, but it happened publicly to me today and I want to tell you about it.
I was playing a gig with the Raytown Ramblers at Mom and Dad's Alma Mater, Raytown High School. I was excited to go through the halls of the school looking for all the records Dad shattered, and Mom's "Most Likely to Smile at a Dog" award. I didn't find that, but I did find Dad's name on a plaque for "District Honor Roll" for Football in 1963. I was so proud of him, I took a picture of it with my camera phone. A woman asked me if I knew someone on that plaque, and I told her who my dad was, she said, "Oh, I know your parents! Your dad was initiated into the Hall of Fame last year and your mom was a teacher and went to Blue Ridge Elementary!" Yes, at that moment I felt like an heiress to royalty.
So, after our performance, the Master of Ceremonies asked us each to stand and tell a little about ourselves. I couldn't think of anything interesting to say about myself, so I said, "I am the proud daughter of two graduates of the 1964 Class of Raytown High School. And last year my dad was initiated into the Raytown Hall of Fame." Dad, they all clapped for you.
Yup, my parents are pretty cool. Even after all these years. I love ya-

4 Comments:
aw... *tear*
;)
by the way... feel free to rip me off. It's a good story to share!
Think of the limitless love you have for Emory and Miles and you will begin to understand the love we have for you.
okay! seriously, this pictre is cracking me up!!! when we were in collage, we (mikki's roomates) used to tease your parents about being a cheerleader & football stud combo. we had nicknames for them (Big O and Little K) and we even had a little cheer we would do as we imagined your dad lifting Little K into the air with the palm of one hand. Then she would flip into the air.
Spectacular!
Cara, I don't think they have changed a bit in 40 years! (Except the 2 replacement knees and replacement hip!)
Post a Comment
<< Home